12.23.2008

I can't sleep

But that is not unusual these days. It is 5:45am and I've been up since 3. The first hour and a half I spent laying in bed hoping to fall back asleep. Even Jersey's ultra-super warm spooning skills couldn't do the trick. So I got up and moved to the living room. This is my stand-by trick. Usually works - maybe it is the cooler air or a little TV noise in the background. But no-go tonight. At 5:15 I realize I am so famished I need to eat something. A small bowl of cereal suffices.

That, in itself, is something that caught me off-guard with pregnancy. About once a week or so I wake up in the middle of the night because I am so hungry my stomach hurts. This is just weird to me. I never had this problem before, but I guess I never burned so many calories, seemingly without effort, before. My body is working hard! Jim tells me not to starve the baby. I swear I don't. I eat whatever I want, just making sure most of it is mostly healthy, and keeping sugar in-check. But my body has reacted strangely to pregnancy in this regard.

You might want to kick my ass after I tell you the next bit, but please remember every woman reacts differently to pregnancy in every way and in every pregnancy... I have only gained 9 pounds in 38 weeks. And, as we found out last week, 7 of that is solid baby. Now let's be real and say that I have plenty on reserve. I'm not a small girl. But I really was expecting a lot more weight gain. I have been concerned in the past and have asked my doc about it more than once (I'll want to remember those moments... "Doctor, am I GAINING enough weight?" Never, in a million years did I ever imagine those words coming from my mouth...). She's not concerned, so neither am I. And Lemon is obviously thriving, so it is what it is.

Besides, what goes around, comes around. My luck, next pregnancy I'll probably pack on a solid 50.

Anyway, still can't sleep so here I am blogging, reading other blogs, writing emails, window shopping on Etsy. Cereal in my belly, I am fully awake now. Crud. Maybe I am just subconsciously preparing for life with less sleep. I hear what happens with a newborn in the house... Yeah... that's it. The universe at work.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

When you can't sleep and want some company (even if it is by phone), I'm up weekdays @ 6am or 4am your time. After Lemon's arrival when Lemon can't sleep and you want some company, just grab the phone.