12.19.2008

Encourage Talent, but KEEP IT AGE APPROPRIATE!

This is just bad parenting. And I admit I am judging here in a severe way. And you can call me old fashioned, you can call me a prude, you can call me whatever you want - it's not going to change my mind. Watch this video, then let's discuss...



THIS IS NOT OK, PEOPLE. I don't care if you think your little one may be the next Britney Spears (God forbid). Hell, I'll even say that this little girl can dance better than Britney based on her last VMA performance. However, at 3 years old, if you feel your little one has a talent for dance, there are plenty of opportunities to enroll him or her in AGE APPROPRIATE classes to find the correct outlet for them to develop their talent through. Ballet, Jazz, even modern dance. But you should not, under any circumstances, be encouraging your 1-10 year old to watch MTV and repeat the sexually-driven dance moves of the latest Pop Tart spanking her ass to her "F-me" lyrics.

Don't get me wrong, I'll admit I personally enjoy a lot of that music - even this Beyoncé song. I can't help but sing along. But I am 32 and I know that I can ignore stupid lyrics, enjoy a good flow, and dance to the beat. But it is your responsibility as the parent to, when your kids are around, keep it clean.

It is NOT CUTE for your kid to sing along to the latest Ludacris. Your son may not know what he is saying now, but the lyrics will stick. One day it will dawn on him, then he'll think that his parent's thought it was a good example for him to have and he'll really start thinking of women as "bitches & hos."

It is NOT CUTE for your kid to dance along to Shakira. I love that lady and her music but hip grinding should at least be reserved for the teenage years. Your daughter may not know what her moves actually mean now, but you'll be kicking yourself when her actions start to take on a sexual tendency at an earlier age than expected and you are beating back horny little 6th grade boys and trying to explain to your daughter why the attention she is getting is not because they actually "like her as a friend."

OK, I'm done.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Wow! I agree with you. That is really disturbing! I'm so glad our tweenager is working on her black belt in karate instead of imitating the hip grinding action of Brittany. She gets enough unwanted attention from 6th grade boys without encouraging them.