12.10.2008

Jersey: Making friends, playing nice.

It was much to my relief that on Saturday, at my birthday party, Jersey made nice with Athena, the 8 month old daughter of my friend Caitlin. You may recall that a while back Jersey had a little growling problem toward Athena... unsolicited snarls that made me wonder if we were going to have a serious problem when Lemon arrives.

Well she must have known how disappointed I was with her behavior because on Saturday, Jersey made her way to Athena more than once to give her sweet kisses on her hand. Of course, we backed up that behavior with lots of love and praise and kisses for the Jers - we were all so excited and SO proud of her!

To top it all off, Jersey had another delightful encounter with another baby in the middle of the night last night... I got up to pee at about 3am (TMI, I know) then came back to bed. Jersey had to, of course, reposition herself at that point as well - assuming I am awake and will give her some scratches to help her go back to sleep. To solicit scratches, she has the habit of tapping you with her paw. Last night she tapped me straight on my belly because, well, it's hard to miss these days. In complete shock - and with much amusement - I felt Lemon kick her right back. Jersey paused, had obviously felt the kicks, and then tapped again. Believe it or not, and to my complete joy, they kept up this back and forth on my belly for at least a few minutes!

Now, you may be thinking I am one of those crazies who reads way too much into her dog's actions. That may be true. But I am just going to go with this one as I enjoyed it so much, and I am truly hoping these two become fast friends upon Lemon's arrival. This has to be a good sign, right?!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

I think it's a great sign of what is to come! Give Jersey an extra tummy rub for me and tell her Grandma is so proud of her.

alohab said...

phew, as I was reading i thought it was going to say you HAD the baby last night...though common sense should have told me that why on earth would you be blogging :). don't worry about Jersey, she will be just fine! I've found that even if dogs don't like babies/kids, they tend to like their OWN babies/kids, or at least tolerate them. My sister's dog actually attacks kids (and small adults thinking they are kids) but he lets my niece do anything to him.