11.13.2008

Blood Sugar Update

I attended my gestational diabetes class on Wednesday. Two hours worth of info I could have gotten on WebMD in 10 minutes. Yes, I am an instant gratification-driven generation X'er. The interesting part of class was getting the meter and testing it out... it's sad when the best part of class involves pricking your finger.

Anyway, right after class I had my 32 week OB appointment. I discussed my concerns about "over-reacting" and being quick to diagnose - especially after I was given my full results from the GTT and all of my post-Glucola sugar levels were WELL within range. She and I agreed to go ahead and test for a full week (4x a day) and we can review the results together and see how to proceed.

Her biggest concern is that my fasting blood sugar, taken before eating in the morning, was a little high (104). Unfortunately this is the one reading that, if off, you can't control with diet. If it is consistently high it may require taking a slow acting insulin before bed at night so that my reading is normal (<95) in the morning.

Today I took my first fasting reading - 96. Just a point high. All my post-meal readings (taken 2 hours after eating) were perfectly fine (<120): Breakfast - 111, Lunch - 82, Dinner - 114).

We'll see how the week goes...

No comments: