8.07.2008

Book Review: SECRETS OF THE BABY WHISPERER

Upon the trusted recommendation from friend and veteran mom of two little girls, Aloha Allen, I recently borrowed this book from the library. Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate With Your Baby was penned by Britian's own "Baby Whisperer", Tracy Hogg.

Unlike other books I have read that are either hard to sit and motivate to read, or are quite sturdily opinionated, this book stressed less the "should" or "should not" perspective, and more the idea that whatever you decided is right for you and your baby, remaining consistent in technique and pattern is the key to helping your baby feel secure. Tracy focuses on newborn parenting for first-time parents, which was perfect for what I was looking for in terms of advice.

One of the things I could have done without was her continually calling you "luv" as you read. I understand the conversational nature of her writing, but it was slightly condescending, although this may be a cultural interpretation. I'll give her a pass on this as a nod to all of the great advice she offers.

Sadly, I had to return to the book to the library (and pull out all the tabs I stuck in there as important points for Jim to read), but this is one I will want as reference in my permanent collection.

I think we will try to put many of the Baby Whisperer techniques into action when Lemon arrives, and for that reason I give this book 5 out of 5 contractions.

1 comment:

alohab said...

I felt exactly the same way about the "luv" stuff, but I did find the book very helpful. It just made sense to me. Hope you have as good of luck as I did with it. Actually, I need to re-read it so I can get going with Makena :).