10.05.2008

I have NO skills...

Luckily, none are really required.

Ever since I calculated my due date when I peed on the stick and got the two pink lines, I have been worried about having a COLD baby. It just struck me that the tool I rely on to keep me warm at night in the winter, a blanket, is just off-limits when it comes to babies. Ever since I have been devising ways to keep Lemon warm through a chilly Northwest winter. We have purchased a bunting, receiving blankets, footie pajamas, swaddlers, hats, socks, a cool car seat cover. Jim has sealed our room for when she sleeps in there (nights) and we are working on sealing the upstairs when she sleeps up there (naps).

One day my path crossed with a post on a blog I follow, makebabystuff.com. A pattern for fitted sheets... that seemed easy enough, and a cheaper solution than having to buy multiples. And then I had a brilliant idea, just for that EXTRA warmth at night... FLEECE fitted sheets.

My nesting instinct is kinda in overdrive and I have had the uncontrollable urge to sew as many things as possible for the baby. Mind you, I am a complete sewing novice but I have been improving steadily with each project I tackle. I looked at this project and thought to myself, "no sweat."

Today, to escape Jim's back and forth between real football and the Wii Madden 2009 football he got for his birthday, I went to the fabric store and bought enough fleece for 2 fitted sheets, and also enough flannel for two sets of those, too. Then this evening I got to work on the first of the four.

Everything started off swimmingly - measure, cut, sew the corners... but then it came to finishing the edges and adding the elastic to the corners. Seems easy enough. People, it was an ugly scene. I don't know if it was the bulky, slick fleece, or the stitch types i had to use since I don't have a surger, or the fact that I have never worked with elastic before and it was kinda hard to manipulate. It most likely was a combination of all of the above. The edges and elastic corners are the UGLIEST I have ever done. I cursed through the process and broke a needle in the middle of it. I imagined myself 40 years from now with tweenage grandkids who beg Lemon to ask me not to sew them Christmas presents AGAIN. I let go of the dream of being the ultra-crafty mom who could eventually sew my kids awesome homemade Halloween costumes. My confidence just came tumbling down.

But then I realized... the saving grace is that the edges and corners, when they are on the mattress, are hidden nicely UNDER the mattress!! As I said before, the top and sides look great. So I pushed myself to finish and went to put my new, orange fleece fitted sheet on the crib. It looks great! I feel so much better now. I would post pictures but since it is just a solid fitted sheet made of fleece, it would be kinda boring. Just use your imagination and be proud of me. I am.

2 comments:

alohab said...

I am impressed! I never would have tackled such a project. I take the easy way out and just bought them :). I too worried about the cold since Nanea and I went to Oklahoma and Chicago when she was 2 months old. Those sleep sacks are great in lieu of blankets, and I ended up using those little mitten things that people use so their babies don't scratch themselves (mine never did) to cover her hands to keep her warm. They do make footed jammies where the sleeves fold over their hands for that purpose as well. So many things for you to think about that we don't have to worry about here!

Rhonda said...

Wow! You are the most talented and creative person I know. You are also way too hard on yourself! I wouldn't have gotten past measure and cut much less sew. As I've said before the sewing machine and I are not the best of friends. Should Lemon ever ask "Why doesn't Grandma ever sew anything for me?" Please explain that Grandma loves her so much but is "sewing machine" challenged and will purchase the fabric so that Mommy can use her wonderful talent to sew something. However, Grandma can make homemade playdough in any color or scent she would like. I also know how to make silly putty using liquid starch and Elmer's glue. In a pinch , I could also make finger paint.