7.25.2008

Our first purchase!

I have heard how helpful swings are with infants - apparently they LOVE them (maybe something to do with the front-back motion that simulates the mom walking around with baby in the womb?) - so I knew that this would be a purchase we would make before Lemon's arrival. It was one of the products I started looking at first.

Now, while shopping for baby things, there has been one common theme I have been steadfast in keeping in front of my mind: everything being as multi-functional as possibe. As much as I am tempted to buy every gadget and amenity for Lemon, I am determined to remain practical and frugal when I can.

So I happened upon this swing from Graco:



Not only it is the best pattern and color scheme I have seen in unisex baby gadgets, but beyond it being a swing, it is also a BOUNCER. The seat easily lifts off the frame - and this will be perfect for me to move around the house and keep an eye on baby as I cook, clean, etc. I looked at other swings without the bouncer feature thinking I can buy a bouncer separately, but I couldn't even come close to the same $130 price point when combining the cost of separate pieces - at least not in a design-sensitive manner. Those of you who know me know that I can not sacrifice aesthetics no matter how much money I might save. If it's ugly, I can't live with it, and I am determined to raise my child to have an innate understanding of beauty and good design.

So, my heart was set on this swing. We would have waited a bit before purchasing, but unfortunately this swing is being discontinued so we had to snatch it up before it was all gone! Now it sits upstairs in the nursery, kinda lonely, waiting for the company of the rest of the cute future baby furniture... and hoping to be fed some D battieries so it can come to life with gentle vibrations, 6 swing speeds, and soothing nature sounds.

We are looking forward to Lemon's first ride in it!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

What a great purchase! Lemon will love it. A swing is a must have and the bouncer is a terrific bonus. I like the design too. This gives me an idea of your tastes for Lemon.